Dr. K.L.N RAO
MBBS, MS (Surgery- PGI, Chandigarh),MCH (Pediatric Surgery- PGI, Chandigarh), FACS, FAMS
He has an experience of more than 42 years in Pediatric Surgery out of which 20 years as Head of the Department in PGI, Chandigarh, an Institute of National Importance in India. Specialities: Pediatric Surgery, Neonatal Surgery, Pediatric Anesthesia and Pediatric Urology
Dr. KLN Rao is a former Professor & Head, Department of Pediatric Surgery, PGIMER, Chandigarh (tenure 20 years). He has 40 years of clinical, teaching and research experience in Pediatric Surgery / Pediatric Urology and had set up the Department of Pediatric Surgery at Advanced Pediatrics Center at PGI, which serves as a tertiary child care center for the entire North India.
Dr. Rao has performed more than 300 pediatric surgeries for portal hypertension (blood vomiting) and 1,050 surgeries for hydronephrosis (kidney swelling), the highest in the world by any surgeon. He is a pioneer in Pediatric Surgery, who has performed more than 800 surgeries of children with urinary tract infection and 550 cases of the posterial urethral valve. He has received three prestigious Oration Awards and seven Awards / Gold Medals from the Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons.
English and Hindi
- Professor & Head – Department of Pediatric Surgery, PGIMER Chandigarh
- Senior Resident- Ped Surgery at J.I.P.M.E.R., Pondicherry
- Junior Resident (Surg/Ortho) at Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi
- House Officer (Anaesthesiology) at Govt. Gen. Hospital, Gulbarga
- Internship at Govt. Gen. Hospital, Gulbarga
- Fellow, National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) (FAMS)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Member, Association of Surgeons of India.
- Member, Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
- Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- Life member (since 1982), Honorary Secretary (1996 and 1997), Sectional Editor (1998 and 1999), President Elect (2002), President (2003) and Editor-in-Chief of JIAPS (2007).
Education and fellowships:
- M.Ch Pediatric Surgery – PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
- M.S. (Surgery) – Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- E.C.F.M.G. (U.S.A.)
- M.B.B.S – M.R. Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka State, India
- Neonatal Surgery
- Pediatric Surgical Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Urology (Hydronephrosis, Vesico ureteral reflux (VUR), PU valves)
- Portal Hypertension
- Anorectal Malformations
- Pediatric Trauma
- Exstrophy of Bladder
- DEFLUX Injection
- Antenatal Counselling
Awards & Honors:
- Dr. T. Dorairajan Gold Medal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons, 2015 in recognition of Life Time Service in India – 2015
- Leelawati Upadhyaya Gold Medal of Asian Society for Paediatric Urology, New Delhi – 2015
- Calicut International Medical Sciences Academy – Dr. K.N. Rao Oration Award – 2015
- Asopa – Wakhlu Oration Award –by U.P.- Uttarakhand Chapter of IAPS – 2014
- Dr. K.C. Sogani Gold Medal for Life Time Achievements – 2012
- M.S. Ramakrishnan Oration Award – 2005
- IAPS Puran Chand Gupta Memorial Award – 2004
- IAPS- ETHICON Visiting Professor Award – 2001
- Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS) – 1993
- Merit Certificate for best service in Pediatric Surgery by King Fahad Hospital, Saudi Arabia –1993-94
Research and Publications:
Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons (JIAPS) since 2007. The Journal was indexed by PubMed during his tenure.